Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mountain Climbing

I found this slide over at Dangerously Irrelevant. It reminded me of a quote from a running book I am re-reading. In the book (Run Faster) Brad Hudson talks about goal setting, and how runners need to set high goals. Those goals need to be high enough to challenge you and keep you interested, but not so high that you'll never reach them (and constantly feel like you're failing).

I think of that in my practice as well. There are many teachers who I read about that inspire me on a daily basis. Reading the Tempered Radical, Learning is Messy, Two Writing Teachers, or the Reading Zone (or any of those in my blogroll), I realize how much room I have to grow. I want to be like some of the teachers in my building that have taught for a few years, and are doing wonderful things with their kids. But I need to worry about being the best first year teacher I can be, and move on from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment