Monday, October 12, 2009

Curriculum Mapping

Today was my first day with a sub. I ran the gamut of emotions. First I was upset for having to be gone. Then I was content with needing to fulfill my new teacher release day obligations, but unsure of what to get together. After that I was nervous that I hadn't written everything down, followed later by nerves that I had written way too much down. Once we got going today, after 8:30 and my phone hadn't vibrated, I let my nerves evaporate.

The entire experience was interesting, and I'm hopeful the process will feel more relaxed next time (but that is wishful thinking). Why was I gone? Because I was at a new teacher support release day. What did I do? We spent part of the day focused on curriculum mapping, which was greatly helpful. That might seem like a nature thing, but it certainly wasn't at first.

Backing up, I hadn't really done much curriculum mapping before. ie. I hadn't looked at the year, looked at the number of weeks to teach, and then looked at the standards that needed to be taught to see where they would fit. Why? Because I was too consumed with ensuring that the next day's lesson would be as impactful as possible, essentially perpetually living in the moment with my kids. I still do, to some extent, live in the moment. I look at the social studies content, look at where they are (grasping wise), and then adjust instruction to meet their needs. Curriculum mapping doesn't replace that. Instead it provides a big picture map, and gives you an idea of where you are going to go.

How is that important? For example we have been hammering away at main ideas in nonfiction text. It is one of the grade level standards for reading, and is hugely important for reading comprehension. What is the text about? What is the big thing the author wants you to know? Well I need not worry that they don't get it right now. Besides that, they won't all get it the first time. I can look at my map and be sure that I will be teaching to that standard again, and know that my kids will get more practice. Instead of bogging down, work on it then move on. We will consistently be returning to that standard, since it is so essential to nonfiction, and bogging down now takes away instructional time for the many other standards I need to hit.

At least I've got some sort of map... funny since geography is one of the social studies EALRS (essential academic learning req's).

No comments:

Post a Comment