Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Record Keeping

Of all the issues that a new teacher faces, one of the biggest might be record keeping. How do you keep track of homework? How do you keep track of the quality of work? When do you find the time to do it?

Today I spent about an hour after school working on tracking homework. I had a spreadsheet previously, and it was a good start. I was looking through work, marking it in the spreadsheet, but also coarsely looking through it. I wanted to be able to informally assess the quality of work coming back, and see whether they were comprehending the assignments (all of linked into school work- building on skills, practicing etc). Going through them, I found myself almost scattered... do I look at quality? do I look at content? You look at both and you pick and choose. You find those folks that you concentrate on for one round, and then you move on... or you look for particular pieces (main ideas, supporting details etc).

After all that... I'm done for the night. Bringing too much home, and need the break between home and school.

No comments:

Post a Comment