Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A mixture of old and new

I've been trying to construct meaning out of all sorts of stuff that I've been given for the first week or two. What types of stuff? Reading comprehension copies, old test sample questions, math diagnostics, etc. Some of the items I have taken, and been explicit in teaching the concepts embedded in them (finding the main idea for example). Others I have used as diagnostics, preliminary assessment data about what kids know and don't know.

I struggle initially trying to create meaning from the papers that I have. Why? Well because it wasn't really in my operating procedure to use a ton of blackline masters (teacher book stuff), and consider that good teaching. I maintained a level of disdain, thinking it lacked creativity and thoughtfulness. But is that really the case? Perhaps to some degree, but the meaning of a worksheet is derived from how it is used and the teaching before/during/after.

Case in point for me has been some maps/geography handouts I have. Now it could have simply been an interesting activity- read it, answer some questions, color in a map. But what I elected to do was focus on some of the non-fiction features, in particular the bolded vocabulary (Latitude, longitude, equator, etc). "Why are those words bolded? How might those words help us understand what we are reading? Where might we find the meaning from the text we are reading?" I've had them working with shoulder partners (although some have used table groups of 4) and they've worked reading together, answering questions, and searching for definitions. For me, this has been useful in getting a handle on their knowledge of some nonfiction. This has been an assessment of following directions, working in groups, and their reading ability with lower level nonfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment