Sunday, September 13, 2009

Meet Gort


Before school started I had all sorts of trouble trying to get my room setup. Each "classroom" has an activeboard, a projector, and a whiteboard. Mine, being a shared space, was not technically a classroom. We had converted a space that was mutually used by the 4th and 5th grades into a classroom in order to lower class size in the 5th grade. Since it was a conversion room, it didn't have all of those amenities.

After searching around, we moved the activeboard from another shared space into mine. We then located the computer that hooks into it, as well as the projector. Being the techno-geek that I am, and having a father that was in IT, I figured "no problem," I'll have this setup in no time.

One minor issue... I couldn't get power to the board. So I searched around, I had power to everything BUT the activeboard. No juice. So I called the helpdesk on my newly setup phone (setup in that it was attached to the outlet, not that I had voicemail etc). They give me direction, and tell me I need to get it hooked into the network, as well as attach a power cable to my I/O port where the activeboard and the computer meet....

I did that, I was moving right along... until I met Gort. Who is Gort? I'm still not sure. But I called the helpdesk, I was cursing inside as well, and I say "well... I've met Gort, and I feel like I should.." and I hear a giggle. If you've met Gort you aren't on the network, and you need a IT support person to come out... At the time it was funny in the most frustrating of ways. Now it is just funny. My computer's name is Gort, a techie person's inside joke. Apparently I'm not techie enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment