Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mr Hanson's Social Studies Wiki

Back when I was at UW-Bothell I decided that I was going to create a wiki for my technology class. As I was planning today, a regular Sunday afternoon occurrence, I found a great way to get my wiki up and running! Since we are going to be doing some work on natural disasters, and linking that back to the geography work we did previously, I could easily use the wiki to have kids extending their learning. The obvious upside, to me, is that I wouldn't need to send home a 5+ pound textbook!

So Mr. Hanson's Social Studies Wiki is up and running. We're going to be working on Earthquakes much of this week, so that is the furthest along. The others simply have pages and Coming Soon on them. For the natural disasters it might seem like lots of work for little use (we'll see each for about a week). On the contrary, the web research I'd already done for background information made it easy to plug in relevant information. In total it was about 30 minutes of creation, and the kids should be able to locate a variety of usable information in a central place (in particular for homework). In the future the kids will be adding to the pages, and responsible for adding new/usable information.

If only it wasn't called a wiki... my wife hates the word wiki, as it is reminiscent of the word wookie... aren't wookies cute though?

No comments:

Post a Comment