Saturday, January 24, 2009

Homework and Assumptions

Two great blog posts I encountered today...
  • If you get a chance, take a look at this post over on NYC Educator. A teaser: student artwork can have many, many meanings!
  • Also take a look at Elementary, My Dear, or Far From It. Teaser: Can you pay attention when you've something distracting is happening in your life?

My experience, thus far, has pushed me to be open-minded about the different kids in the classroom. You never really know where they have come from, or what they mean, unless you truly get to know them. In the instance shown in the first linked post, the notion of knowing your kids is really underscored. It would be easy to judge the kids based on the artwork. But that, and the assumption you are making about the family, would likely be wrong. In the second link, I found it to be another example of how difficult it is for kids to be focused on learning. We push kids to be present in the classroom, but if you were in their shoes would you be able to focus? I'm not sure I would be able to. The next step is what do we do to help the learner?

No comments:

Post a Comment