Monday, January 26, 2009

Engaging Lessons

I am only teaching sporadic lessons during this quarter, and tomorrow I get a chance to tackle science and math. In truth, I tackle science every Tuesday with our kiddos, but this is my first foray into math. The lessons couldn't be more different.

The Seattle School District uses the Everyday Math curriculum set. It is a highly recursive curriculum, and tomorrow I am introducing Turn-Around Facts for the first time (5.10 of the 1st Grade guide). I looks like the lesson is 3/4 whole group, which will have it's plusses as far as bringing forth discoveries about patterns in the facts, etc. To some degree there is a level of comfort in the sheet with the facts that the student needs to fill in. But is that really engaging? Isn't there a better way?

Fast forward about 2 hours and I'll be in science. We are working with the concept of balance, and more specifically how weight and position affect balance, not to mention the position of the fulcrum. It is a 45 minute block (too short, I know!) that seems to run out too quick. The kids are engaged, and the only real struggle comes in teaching kids how to be partners with others (particularly those not their best friends). There I struggle more with having effective whole class discussion in a limited time than having an effective lesson. If only I could intermingle the best parts of each of the lessons.... there is still time!

(note: credit to penywise at morguefile for the above photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment