Thursday, February 16, 2012

Midwinter break!

Midwinter break is here. I'm not sure I've ever been this excited for break. I'm a little run ragged between teaching, taking a class, and teaching a class. Add scoring 75 explorer projects and you've got a very tired Pete.

The plan for break is to get some things done. I have some planning to do to recalibrate heading into our spring break. I have a number of items to score and get into our online grade book. I've also got some reading to catch up on. I brought home 4 books that I (wishfully) hope to read over break.

Oh, and I hope to nap!

3 comments:

  1. I second your comments about being ready for break.

    I just learned that next week I will be squeezing my 33rd sixth grader into my little portable - and she doesn't speak any English. While I actually love getting new students, I already feel stretched pretty thin.

    Enjoy your few days off. Back to work on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your 33rd student. Hopefully you have some ELL support that will provide some assistance. Do you have other students that speak her language that you can leverage? I ran into that situation, albeit with fewer students, previously. I used students with the same language background to provide support, while also pairing the student with some of the kinder/gentler souls that want to help. That seemed to be extraordinarily helpful in bridging the gap.

    Again, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, I do not. Last year I had two Hebrew-speaking ELL students which was great. This year I have a Hebrew-speaking student, and now a Portuguese student. In my experience, so much depends on the personality of the student. One student I had last year was so outgoing that she picked up language much faster than is typical.

    And, yes, I will look to pair her with a kind and gentle soul.

    Keep on blogging! My only blog right now is my classroom blog.

    ReplyDelete