Saturday, January 15, 2011

Swim, Swim, SWIM!

I'll admit that I am treading water right now. I'm trying to swim, but the water is occasionally going over my eyes and ears. In the past 2 weeks I've graded 64 common district assessments for reading- both literary and informational. Once I got into a groove with those, the scoring/grading went far better. Now I have 64 writing assessments to go through, along with a smattering of other items (current events, book projects, etc). Oh, and grades are due Wednesday!

I found the reading assessments to be most interesting. It is a combination of multiple choice and open response where during and after reading. Two of my groups did well, really hurdling the assessment with ease. The other group had a few issues that I was caught off guard by- responses that just didn't match all of the work they have done this year. That led me to wonder whether the assessment was accurate, or whether there might be other factors. Turns out that they had been doing another assessment in an earlier content area. While I was aware of it, I didn't figure that the assessment earlier in the day would have a drastic impact. That being said, I elected to have a few of them retake the assessment (same assessment- they hadn't seen answers yet). The result was that virtually all performed as they had throughout the year, some perfect or near perfect.

And still I continue to swim...

No comments:

Post a Comment