Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Novel Study is Coming!

Who is excited about novel study? I am! I am! I'm ready to roll it out next week. We'll do some book selection on Friday and Monday, followed by starting our reading on Tuesday. My kids, for the most part, enjoy reading. Bringing out some different novels will allow me to guide them through some work on characters, setting, plot, and problem/solution. It will also give me a chance to see how they respond to open ended questions where they need to infer/predict/evaluate/analyze and use text evidence in support of the response.

Novel study does divide up my reading time a little bit. Instead of a full 60 minute block of time, kids will read for 15-20 minutes. After that they'll transition into the social studies work. I need to acquire a few copies of books we'll be using. The books we'll be using are...
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • The Lightning Thief
  • Frindle
  • Letters From Rifka
  • Rules

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment