Monday, January 3, 2011

Favorite Books Read in 2010

I read quite a few kids books during 2010. I really picked up steam during the summer, and carried that through into the fall/winter. Below are so of my favorites, all of which fit into the intermediate reader category....
  1. Percy Jackson series- I loved the first 2 books, mildly enjoyed the second 2 books, and loved the final book. The Last Olympian was really entertaining, and all of the books were fast paced. Consequently they have been really popular in my classroom.
  2. Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation- I really enjoyed this book. The themes of accepting others, and believing you can do anything were bright and shining. Plus there was a huge fantasy/comic book feel to it.
  3. The I,Q Series- Roland Smith did a fantastic job with the first two books in this series. He was able to mesh current events (re: terrorism & surveillance) with kids in fast paced stories. I'm also a political science geek, so this was right up my alley.
  4. Mysterious Benedict Society #3- I enjoyed the whole series, but read the 3rd book at the start of 2010. I enjoyed finding out new details about each of the characters, and finding out how Mr. Benedict would thwart his brother's sinister plans.
  5. When You Reach Me- Rebecca Stead did a fantastic job putting this book together. It is relatively short, but takes a little while to really understand the plot.
  6. The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg- Historical fiction written around the time of the civil war. Homer goes on an adventure to save his brother who has been sold into the civil war by an angry/worthless uncle. Funny yet believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment