Saturday, August 14, 2010

Great Series

This afternoon I finished The Last Olympian, the final book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. At first I resisted the series. My prior experience working in a bookstore where parents got angry when the Harry Potter book wasn't released (not our fault, talk to JK Rowling!) made me resist. I was put off by popular series'. But now that I teach 5th grade, it isn't an option any more. I need to read what the kids are reading, being fluent and immersed in their world.

I will also admit that I strongly dislike hardcover books. I prefer tradepaper, finding it easier to tote around and a cheaper alternative. That wasn't an option in this case, as it isn't scheduled to be released in paper until January and I'd like to finish the series before school starts.

All that being said, whoa! I was engrossed in the final chapter of this series, thoroughly enjoying the wall to wall action throughout. I was also looking for answers to a myriad of questions. What would happen to Percy and the prophecy? Would Luke be destroyed by the Titan lord Kronos? How would Nico's situation with his father, and exile from camp be resolved? I had a myriad of other questions as well, as those are merely some of the larger questions at hand.

I was impressed. The Last Olympian was not entirely predictable (some predictability is needed in kids books, keeping them interested and pulling them along). It balanced predictable ends with turns that you didn't quite expect. Rick Riordan answered a fair number of questions, while also leaving the door open for a future half-blood series (in the notes it mentions the conclusion of the "first" camp half blood series). I also think it successfully showcased all of the characters and their growth (in the book, and series). It was well worth my time this summer.



Going forward, I still have a few more books to tackle. I am in the midst of the Phantom Tollbooth, a book I haven't read but wish I had. I also would like to tackle City of Ember (DuPrau), and Hesse's Out of the Dust. By then I imagine our staff development days will have started, and my summer reading will have slowed to a crawl.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you had a chance to read both City of Embers and Out of the Dust. Both books could be used in elementary classes in many different ways. Hesse's book was one of the first modern "novel in verse" books in children's/young adult literature, and she captures the essence/feel/spirit of the Great Depression. City of Embers would make a good (but probably bleak) read aloud about the same kind of period. Both books speak to the harshness of life but provide opportunities for compassion and empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. City of Ember was great, and is likely my next read aloud. The follow-up was great too, but lacked some of the mystery. Out of the Dust is still on the shelf, as I opted to read The Girl Who Could Fly instead (by the way, really fantastic intermediate book). The publishing company, Squarefish (I think), has done some really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete