Saturday, June 5, 2010

Last Full Week

This is the last full week of school for my district. We have 2 1/2 days the following week, but for the most part this is it. We're going to continue to have our rotations this week, which should keep a degree of normalcy in the crush of spring/summer fever. What is in store? We are going to finish up with a brief (I stress the word brief) covering of the civil war. I have always hated the word "coverage" because it places emphasis on content instead of thinking skills. But in this case I feel ok about it.

I've been able to intermingle thinking questions with content so that kids aren't left merely trying to seek knowledge level responses. A case in point would be this past week where I had posed the question to kids "Was western expansion of the United States a good thing?" This was on the board as they walked in, and they needed to respond in their social studies journal. Each kid got a chance to respond, and we tallied "good" and "bad". Both wasn't a choice, but it was clearly reflected in their responses as many said "it depends on the point of view you are looking at it from." That gives me hope for the last week as we continuing trucking along through US History.

No comments:

Post a Comment