Thursday, January 28, 2010

Meeting Goals

One of my goals for the year is to create an environment where students assess the quality of their own work. To do this, students will be involved in creating and utilizing rubrics. That was the goal that I wrote for myself back in Oct/Nov as part of our professional growth plan in the school district. Accompanying that was the benchmark that I attempt to implement at least 1 rubric within the first grading period.

This week was an opportunity to work on those goals, and see where we were with respect to progressing to meet them. Well I have used 3-4 iterations of rubrics for different assignments. I believe the students have found them useful, as they have given honest feedback about their work. Instead of simply saying "this is great" they will say "this is great because..." or "I think it was good, but needed to improve here..."

The trouble I have run into is returning work. I've struggled with that as a whole, in particular with respect to the rubric-ed items. Obviously that begs the question: why self-assess if you don't see the feedback in a timely fashion? That has been the question I've been pondering, as well as how I can be more efficient in the grading process?! My struggle is largely around ensuring that I give them feedback, record the information in my gradebook, then return it into their "Completed Work Folder." As a whole it just some stuff I am thinking about as I try to improve my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment