Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Secret to Being Observed

Being observed is part and parcel to your first 3-5 years of teaching. In year 4, I have 3 formal observations. I also signed up to help pilot teacher learning walks so I have teachers coming into my room (to give feedback) on another occasion (today, Wednesday, in fact).

Observations are a good thing. They I've you information about your practice. They should also give you a chance to be more reflective- not that you aren't, but let's not kid about the realistic time constraints of teaching.

But there is a secret: act like no one is there. Do the things you'd normally do, and get on with teaching the way you know how. No one wants to see a song and dance. If you are concerned about how effective your lesson might be- so something else (a different one) or rethink what you want to accomplish. Otherwise you create more work for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment