Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Long Three Weeks

I essentially crawled into a hole for the last three weeks. My focus has been on getting everything set for school, getting to know my kids, and marathon training. Yep, I'm currently two week out from my fall marathon so that was sucking up time also! In the last three weeks we've had our first day, welcome back assembly, welcome back bbq, done pre-assessments, grouped kids for our rotations, met about special education students, and had curriculum night. This week seems like it is the first without anything really happening as far as events are concerned.

Where are we at? We're in a good place. Our groups are rolling, which means that kids are now knee deep in Social Studies/Literacy work. We've discussed non-fiction features, and been using them to find information. We've also started to did into geography, and kids have really been digging it. My homeroom has started a little beginning of the year project also: their biographies as word clouds. We start by typing up a short bio of ourselves (at least 10 sentences). Then we plug it into Wordle. From there, we need to look at the cloud to decide whether we want some words to be larger or not... if so, you need to write more about it! We've been doing it on our netbooks as well, so the sound of kids just typing away and whispering to their table group is pretty awesome. The talking you tend to get when kids are struggling to get going can be frustrating- this wasn't one of those times.

Could I write more today... sure. Instead I need to vow to blog more often. So I will! Perhaps a snip of my Wordle coming this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment