Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mockingbird by Erskine

I am a bit of a book fanatic. In my spare time I cruise over to bookstores. I often say I'm just browsing, but I will typically walk away with 5-10 books to bring back to my classroom. Part of that is because I have a running list of books I want to pick up. I've scoured Newbery lists, Young Readers Choice, Global Reading Challenge, etc looking for new books to get. Sometimes I have that list physically, but more often not.

Mockingbird has been on my list for about a year now. It was out in hardcover (fun fact: I really dislike hardcover books- size, weight, cost!) and I was to get it from the library. Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead I waited until it was in paper to get it. When that happened, I immediately purchased it. Time was short, so I did what I always do: pushed it towards some of my kids allowing them to be the litmus test. The early reviews from them were very positive... so it ended up on my summer reading list.

The story is about a girl with Asperger's. Her family has just been befallen by a second tragedy. First was the passing of her mother due to cancer, and the second is the passing of her brother after a school shooting. Her trouble has less to do with his death, and more to do with the emotion that everyone says she is supposed to have. Being on the autism spectrum, she struggles when things aren't black and white.

Over the course of this story you get a small glimpse into what might be happening for someone with this disability. Processing things that take nuance and finesse are incredibly difficult, and making friends is hard. Couple those with the tragedy those around you are dealing with (and you too, but in a different way) and you have a mountain to climb. While the subject matter is touchy, heart wrenching in fact, the power of seeing our main character (Caitlin) work to overcome these many struggles was incredible. I'm really excited to have other kids read it.

Rating: 5 out of 5. It didn't win the National Book Award for nothing I guess.

4 comments:

  1. This book was also on my summer reading list and I just finished it. I discovered your blog looking at other blog reviews and skimming through a few pages see we have lots of "books" in common. I am also a teacher and am beginning to think about the fall and organizing literacy, book talks, etc. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Carrie! The book reviews will start to taper way down in the next 2 weeks as school starts to swing back into session. But the hope is that I'll continue to get in book reviews ever week or two.

    What else is on your bookshelf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book I just finished that you might enjoy is The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd - also narrated by a child with Aspergers. I plan to use this book with my book club this fall as they have been asking or a mystery. I just finished Graceling by Kristin Cashore (YA Fantasy) and When you Reach me by Rebecca Stead (amazing) I just started Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt - think I saw it on your blog too Yes? I'm just 40 pages in and hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did read Okay For Now, and I loved it! The Wednesday Wars is connected to it (set a yr or two prior) but with one of the side characters from the beginning of Okay For Now.

    ReplyDelete