Saturday, April 9, 2011

New Platform

My district is moving towards a roll-out of a new online platform for elementary and secondary students. The platform is an online one-stop site for kids and teachers to access and communicate. I wasn't able to go to the first training because of a conflicting training, but tinkered with it today. I spent about an hour adding discussion posts, creating a blog, adding pictures, and adding "news items." This should be a great addition to the repertoire.

I currently have kids submitting assignments via a dropbox on our district network, and we use our class wiki fairly heavily (although we don't edit it in quite the way we did last year). I have wanted to start a blog for kids, but was reluctant to do so because of privacy issues. While this blog will be restricted to staff, and students, I feel significantly more comfortable with the level of privacy. The audience piece will be different (not people globally or even in the greater Seattle area) but I think it will work out just fine. Why I am doing this on a Saturday is beyond me. Maybe I'm just that much of a geek who has little better to do than think about the instructional possibilities that will grow my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment