Sunday, December 13, 2009

One Heck of a Decoder

I have few memories of reading from my childhood. I know that I enjoyed Sendak's Wild Things, and I loved reading, and re-reading the sports page. While it likely wasn't the case, I like to think it is how I learned to read. I loved looking at statistics, reading box scores, and reliving the games through the eyes of the reporter. To this day I still read and re-read sports articles, and it gets far worse when I buy the newspaper or have a magazine. I love being a part of the club. What club? The club of readers and literate people spanning the globe.

You don't hear many people saying "I just love decoding!" or "Lots of great letters and sounds in that book!" Instead you hear people talking about the ideas, the content, the connections made between themselves and the words. Decoding allows you to access the text, but it doesn't mean you are reading. Worse is that you can fake reading by decoding and using the words in a context that sounds reasonable (ie The geography of New York is that it has water nearby... familiar context, and wouldn't necessarily raise giant flags of misunderstanding). Assessment brings out a myriad of flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment