Wednesday, December 2, 2009

From Skeletons to Paragraphs

Comparing like items is important. Whether it is two books, two boxes of cereal, or two colonies, you need to be able to sort characteristics of those items. That has been the task of my kids this week. Previously we mined information about colonies in different regions. From there we turned the information into a radio advertisement, and then into a Venn diagram (rather, filling the venn diagram). The next step is synthesizing that information, and putting it together as a coherent piece of writing.

I've been fascinated by the evolution of their writing. Over a month ago they wrote about explorers, and I'll be the first to admit that I needed to improve my writing instruction. Their writing was laden with strings of facts in lengthy sentences. Since then we have worked on having topic sentences, and using transition words that move us from general information to specific information. The work has really started to pay off, and conferencing has been taken to heart.

I believe that part of this evolution has been tied to our use of evaluation. I don't evaluate everything, but for larger pieces of work I want my kids to self evaluate the quality of their work. Not only is it complete, but do I have sentences that make sense? Do I a variety of sentence lengths? Do I have accurate information? Do I include general statements as well as specific information? The writing sessions today were highly successful, and the quality of work was really good.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am a student teacher this year and I am taking a method's class in literacy. We have been reading books by Routman and Fox and they have been very helpful. I just finished discussing when to assess writing and when not to assess writing. It is very interesting. The thought procss is to let the creative juices flow and worry about the grammar and spelling later.

    I really like your blog and I would love to hear more!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading Routman's Writing Essentials (and Reading Essentials). Along the same lines is Units of Study by Lucy Calkins. Both see evaluation/assessment as an ongoing process. The assessments come in a variety of ways, and help inform your instruction- tailoring it to meet the needs of your kids.

    In this case we're using a rubric to self-evaluate the writing and the content. This is after we've gathered lots of information, and worked our way through organizing it, comparing it, etc. In addition I've modelled how to move from comparisons to paragraphs, as well as providing additional scaffolding that lays out the information for kids that need it. But the big thing for me is that they go back and evaluate their own work. Is it clear? Do I use a variety of sentence lengths? Does it sound like a string of facts, or does it flow and have voice? I don't use them every time we write, but I do think that the idea of self-evaluating has given the kids more purpose. Instead of simply handing it in, there is an element of responsibility and ownership, and the number of students wanting to conference and get feedback has increased. Less of the "I'm done" when they aren't, and more "Mr. Hanson, I've re-read it but could you give me some ideas?"

    Thanks for reading, it continues to make me think about instruction and how to improve.

    ReplyDelete