Sunday, November 8, 2009

Quality Assessments

I wrote earlier about my reliance on the reading-writing connection. That connection has been one of my main ways of assessing comprehension. I want to ensure authentic assessments, and fewer photocopied sheets that relate to readings out of context. Those readings aren't entirely bad, as they certainly save time and they are focused in on particular skills. But I'd like to see where student thinking is, and see how they are processing information. Hence why I have relied on writing.

What I stumbled across this morning was a post on the Tempered Radical. His post was in regards to a classroom blog, and some of the in's and out's using that mode of technology. Among the many things I've been thinking about, a classroom blog has been one of them. In fact I've been considering it since September, so this was a nice post (series of posts actually) related to how to best make use of blogs.

Ideally I'd like to get one up and running. I'd assign different kids to write each week, and others to comment. We'd have a focus question or prompt related to the social studies content, and they'd be given some time in class to write (as well as time at home to finish). I've stopped short, largely because I've chosen to focus in on the instruction, and I haven't wanted to jump through the hoops of getting parent permission quite yet. But I think that time is coming near.

Why so near? Because I am going to get social studies podcasts up and running. I've got two working microphones, and a handful of student computers. My goal is similar to that of student blogging, in that students will be discussing what they've learned. They'd work on a script or have some focus questions to answer prior to their recording. I believe I need to get approval for students to record and publish (for the sake of uploading to the public at-large). If I am going to do that, I will get permission for both. Save paper, have clear instructional goals laid out. We'll see. I think both could be highly effective tools that aren't entirely reading/writing based.

3 comments:

  1. I am a student teacher this year and writing a blog is part of the tech learning. It has occurred to me that next year, I might like to have a classroom blog also. I would be interested to hear what the response from the parents will be to your classroom blog and podcasts in social studies. One trick I learned in teaching art classes was a reverse permission where only parents wanting to opt their student out would send the form back. This was effective for my group. I'll be following to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be careful with the reverse permission slip. The assumption you make is that everything you send home makes it to the parents. That isn't always the case. For example, I sent home my conference confirmation forms this past week. I'd emailed parents to be on the lookout for it in their child's homework folder. I still had 2-3 parents that said they hadn't seen it, as their child hadn't brought it home (or hadn't taken it out of their folder).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all good points. In my host teacher's 5th grade classroom, I can see multiple paths to family contact. So, e-mail, notes home in folders and phone calls are all in order too.

    ReplyDelete