Thursday, November 19, 2009

It All Starts

Parent-Teacher-Student conferences start tomorrow. I'm a little nervous, but really excited. I've got folders with a variety of information setup, and I feel pretty organized. Of course if I had my wits about me I would have prepared far further in advance. As it was today was a busy day of going back over everything, making sure assessment data was in folders, and writing down strengths and areas for improvement.

Once the first one has started I don't really have a chance to breath, which is a good thing. More time to think means more time to stress over what went well/not. I feel comfortable adjusting as I go, and this will be a similar experience. As a whole, the formula is fairly similar for everyone. Talk about what has gone well, and overall strengths. Then go over assessment data and evidence, and use that as a segue into a conversation about areas for improvement. The goal is for it to be a conversation about where the child is on the continuum, with everyone interested in the child's development. Should be fun. A full slate tomorrow and Monday, and fewer on Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. I am a student teacher and got to observe conferences last Friday at my main placement with 2/3 grade kiddos. It was a good experience to be able to see how it works before I am the one conferencing with parents. On Monday, I get to observe in my dyad 5th grade class. I am hoping that it will be helpful to get multiple views of conferencing. I liked my master teacher's approach, after the initial hellos and addressing their child's strengths; she asked what were the parents' main concerns. She then got to hear the parents which seemed a good segway into what needed to be worked on together. You are so right, everyone has the same interest, the students development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most conferences have the same pattern. You start generally, and with some overall observations. Then you work your way into more specific strengths/weaknesses, and opportunities for growth. Having data and work samples are helpful as well, so that you aren't simply saying that they are a 2, 3, or 4 because you "think" so. I hope the observations have gone well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Student teacher here...placements in a 6th grade class and a first grade class. Be prepared...a teacher's biggest tip for conference week. Sounds like you had oodles of documentation to support your comments about students. My brain always wants to go to the "what if they say..." scenario. With my own kids' conferences in schools, I know we've either been up in the teacher's face about "not enough challenge," or "what can we do to help our child at home? Okay--what's your thoughts on child-led conferences? Think you might try them some day? As a parent (and future teacher), I would love to empower students to speak for themselves and then turn the show over the parents so they can get "stuff" off their chests as well. As you so wisely put...a great time for building relationships! And gives us a great renewed sense of mission!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, to some degree our conferences have elements of student-ledness. Kids start off with strengths and areas for improvement. This moves onward to them talking about their student work. Is it fully student-led, no. Personally I prefer the mixture but I have far less experience with the child-led conferences.

    ReplyDelete