Sunday, August 19, 2012

Integrating Content

I'm entering year 4 of teaching. This will be the fourth year that I work on a team of 3 that divides the work in the same vain as a middle school might. I am left with literacy, and social studies. Ultimately it is a significant amount of content as you are working through social studies information and skills while simultaneously working in reading and writing skills.

My subject areas are a natural combination. You can't necessarily access the social studies content if you can't use effective reading skills. You also can't effectively communicate your understanding, particularly the analysis behind events, if you aren't able to write. There is obviously one glaring and gaping hole. Anyone see it?

If you guessed reading and writing outside of the non-fiction/expository genre then you guessed correctly. How do you go about using your daily 60-80 minutes to ensure you go beyond nonfiction and expository writing? That is the same question I have been wrestling with my first three years of teaching, and I still haven't really found a satisfactory response. While a majority of my counterparts struggle with teaching enough nonfiction, I am tilted entirely in the opposite direction.

In curriculum mapping this fall I started with my Social Studies content. I know it relatively well, and can easily generate a list of essential understandings, guiding questions, and standards to match. This also helped me in thinking about it from a problem based perspective where kids are going to need to generate some sort of product where they will evaluate and/or analyze information. I don't necessarily touch the reading standards at that point, largely because I need to better flesh out those units. If I do more comparison work, I will integrate that reading GLE. I might do categorizing, or questioning, or something else (which obviously will change the GLE used).

But where to start with reading? I have the Units of Study and enjoy them, even though I find them slightly cumbersome. Instead of diving through them, I started with articulating what I want for my kids as readers. I also wanted to state why those things are important. For example, stating "I want them to love reading" is great but doesn't tell you why you should love reading. To that same point, I hated reading for the sake of reading as an upper elementary or middle school student. So why do I need to love reading? Having a clear vision that it is important due to all of the reading you do throughout your life just to simply function is important, let alone to actually process information so that you can make rational decisions (or enjoy yourself, have a conversation about a book, function at work, etc etc). From that starting point I started in on what skills I wanted to ensure I cycled through- inference, story elements, etc. While it isn't complete, I'm pleased with the direction it is going. As I consider who I balance out my days (and time blocks) I can see what time I might need to allocate to each, and how that use of time will work.

8 days until I'm officially back, and 17 until kids start.

No comments:

Post a Comment