Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Writer's/Reader's/Social Scientist's notebook

Currently I use one notebook for writing, reading, and social studies. In many ways it is far from ideal. Why do I do it? Largely because of the structure of our rotations where my responsibility is literacy. One hour of literacy as fast as you can! Again, it isn't really enough but it is what we have (we also do an hour of mag and an hour of science). I will add that it has worked for us.

This year my journals have been divided into two parts. The front is for social studies content (and writing about social studies since it is embedded). The back is for reading of fiction, the stuff that really isn't US History- novel study etc. Next year I think I am going to do it differently. I will divide it into three parts: 1) social studies 2) word study and/or warmup work and 3) novel study. We'll use tabs or sticky notes to delineate sections to help keep track of what goes where.

The middle section is still a little fishy. I use Words Their Way to teach Greek and Latin roots. I typically provide 4 roots or prefixes a week, and they will look for words with the root, define them, and look for common patterns. I will continue that. But I also want a section for other vocabulary work, particularly things like misspelled words or adjectives (a big focus of ours). If I make it a section I want to use it... Can I get more out of that space? That is part of what I am thinking about as we start to wind toward the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment