Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Original, No Substitutes

Being out of the classroom is a pain. The initial pain is writing lesson plans. While subs should be able to come in and pick up where you left off (they do have the same certificate as other teachers) it rarely works that way. I also like to be detailed so that I can eliminate confusion- what to do, materials to use, when, and why.

Since I've been out for 2 weeks, I had more detail I my plans than usual. I also have less of an idea where my kids are at this moment. What was covered, how well, in what depth, etc. my guess is that there is an email I. My inbox with some loose approximation of those things above. But I'm not going to check my email today. Not while on my last day of leave, and not with the knowledge that I'll likely get frustrated with where we are. It isn't meant as a slight on subs, but is often the reality.

Many districts are moving in the route of having more uniform materials and sequencing. The theory is that kids should get the same from one school to another. But everyone knows it is the teacher that makes the difference. They bring knowledge and style that can help kids succeed. Likewise, an inability to adjust or think on your feet can make a big difference in the opposite direction. Tomorrow I'm back, and the kids get the original...

No comments:

Post a Comment