Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sub plans for yourself

I'm in the midst of prepping for a short leave of two weeks (possibly less). My wife and I are expecting out first child which is incredibly exciting. Simultaneously I am incredibly nervous about leaving my classroom. The only time I've had a substitute is when I was a new teacher visiting other mentor teacher classrooms. Otherwise, 1 day with a sub? No more than 2.

I love my grade level and want the best for my kids. Just doing worksheets or busy work is unacceptable- as it always should be! So how do you make sure the sub helps your kids get to where you want? That is the big $1,000 question.

My plans have my objectives and have an overall layout. I've broken down tasks that I might have kids do seamlessly. Instead I've built in extensions to keep kids moving and interested. Our work is with the colonies, so they'll do some additional research beyond the textbook in graphing population growth among other things.

The irony in this is that the leave was to start last week. Instead I've been using the plans. It helps me see where my planning needs some work, and how I could do things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment