Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Formulas in Writing

I just finished scoring 75 fall writing assessments. I was struck by the number of similar styles kids used in their writing. Transitions like "First, Second, Third" or "First, Next, and then" were prevalent. There were also a myriad of expansion sentences that didn't add as much as you would want. I learned quite a bit about my kids, but was also left with a variety of questions. Some sentences left me as a reader wanting to know more about a particular topic, but being left a bit on the empty side. My kids can write, that much is certain. When I say my kids, I mean ALL of my kids can write. Really. It's true. But at times I wonder whether the process or formula is getting in the way.

The question that I was left with was: would I rather have kids that can write by formula, or those that have voice but could struggle to get started? To me, I'd rather the former than the latter. I think it is easier to model clay than to make clay. If kids have a fall back, default to which they can utilize when they struggle, then I am all for it. Everyone needs a safe zone. While I am great a motivating, writing can be an intense struggle for kids. It is like any area where kids struggle (math, reading, anything): I'm not good at it so why try. The mountain at that point becomes Everest, not one of those small east coast mole hills (I can say that being an ex-east coaster).

We as teachers need to do a better job giving kids tools for their toolbox. I use Units of Study, which has more of a flowy, go through the writing process approach. Others tend to use Step Up to Writing... formula, transitions, IVF, here is how it is done. Both work. But kids need a little bit of both. My challenge is to ensure that their voices get louder as they use (or break free of) these transitions and formulas.

No comments:

Post a Comment