Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Making American History Current?

One of the things I struggle with is making American History applicable in 2011. Some students just can't identify with history. It ends up being boring, and lacking in some of the advantages of artifacts and things in present-day. To me, that is what draws me to things like WCYDWT and Dan Meyer's other math problem solving ideas. Using multimedia that is visually interesting, and inspires questions that you want to solve gets kids really involved in learning.

On a daily basis I teach reading through social studies (and with some novel study). Specifically, I teach American History pre-1800. My teaching includes the Stamp Act. It includes the redcoats. It includes US government in basic structure. In what ways can I integrate present-day multimedia beyond simply drawing analogies? That is the challenge I am going to wrestle with heading into the close of the year. I've got some ideas for the CBA (classroom based assessment) that I'll share tomorrow (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment