Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

I have not been nearly as prolific in my reading since school started. Getting through kids books is going to be more difficult, if for no other reason than the amount of time that needs to be invested (intermediate chapter books compared to primary are two different stories). But this morning I happened to finish Laurie Halse Anderson's Chains.

Chains was a book of historical fiction about a slave seeking her freedom. It is set in New England, beginning with a scene where the main character Isabel finds out that her previous owner did not complete the documents to set her (and her sister) free. What makes this story more dynamic is that it is set at the start of the American Revolution. Being sold to a loyalist family sets the tone for what is to come.

This book weaves through the time period, keeping one eye on the greater story and another on the interpersonal relationships of Isabel and her owners (the Locktons). Anderson's ability to weave in the stories of patriots and loyalists was wonderful, creating a feeling of being in New York as the war was raging. I certainly enjoyed it, and am excited to read the second book "Forge." I'm considering reading it as a read aloud to each of my rotations when we move into the American Revolution, but I am also considering Fever 1793 (also by Anderson). We'll see. While I enjoyed it, the 300 page story might be difficult to get through with my groups (length has to be a consideration!). Again, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment