Sunday, May 16, 2010

Social Studies CBA

As we prepare to finish our MSP testing, my focus begins to turn towards the Social Studies CBA. A CBA is a Classroom Based Assessment, and is rooted in the standards. It allows students to use the skill based sections of the standards to address content of their choice. In our case we will be using the "You Decide" CBA, which should be really neat.

What is You Decide? Essentially kids will be selecting an issue, with some teacher direction, and creating a presentation of some sort about the issue, different points of view, and possible outcomes they would propose. An example would be: Public Spaces/Parks. A student could say that more space is needed for public parks. Society at large has a vested interest in ensuring that empty land is developed into parks so that people can enjoy the outdoors and live a healthy lifestyle in their community. Those opposed might be real estate developers who want to create a retail space for a small/large businesses. In the end, the students will research the issue, form an opinion, and then create some sort of formal presentation (poster board, poster, powerpoint, Photostory, essay, etc). Essay or Powerpoint seem the easiest and most likely, but I am sure a few will opt for the more complex method.

My approach? Well I've found myself inspired by Dan Meyer and his math teaching. In particular, I've been struck by the idea of using multimedia to help kids generate their own ideas and questions. We'll use the example above, and I'll show a picture of an open space near Marymoor Park. The start will be, what do you see in this picture? The question I have in mind to bridge the gap between usage and observation is, How do you feel about this land? I have an inkling that from those feelings will come something like "I think it should be ______," which is precisely where I want them to go (without me telling them to).

Since we have Activboards, and I have a digital camera, I can also bring over some pictures of a park and a mixed-use shopping facility. They can be dragged in to fit with the image, likely evoking a mixture of emotions, which (again) is exactly what I am looking for. The point is that issues have multiple points of view with a variety of stakeholders, and all ideas must be weighed (a concept we have talked about).

I think it will be really successful, and largely student-driven. I'm excited to get started on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment